TECHNISUB FOCUS QUARTZ MK2
Same characteristics as the Raggio with Quartz-Iodine halogen bulb (3.300 °K).
If we use a torch, the colours reappear, the same colours that we couldn?t see because they were not lit by sunlight.
The main features of the torches.
The filament of the bulbs heats up when the current passes through, it becomes incandescent, a white colour, and gives off light. The bulb is filled with gas. A mixture of halogen gases is used to increase the life and quality of the light and these put an end to any the drop in light performance. The performance varies according to the halogen gases introduced into the bulb.
It is possible to boost the voltage of halogen bulbs to obtain improvements in strength or light without reducing the working life of the bulb. It is necessary to limit this and to not boost the voltage by more than 20%.
The performance of a bulb is identified by:
Lumen: the light flow given off. It is the overall power radiated by a light source and perceptible to the eye.
Colour temperature: this is measured in °K, Kelvin degrees and is the index of quality of the light given off.
WATT: this is the absorption of energy of the bulb. It is possible for two bulbs with the same Wattage to have different performances.
This determines the type of light beam of the torches. Modern dive torches use non-parabolic reflectors, the difference in shape is not visible to the naked eye but can be noticed and appreciated during dives.
It is better to have a concentrated beam of light underwater, as it improves the divers ability to see through the suspension, and provides superior light into the recesses. The reflector must be designed so that the reflected rays come out parallel to each other underwater, generating a cylindrical and uniform beam (Fig. 2).
The light beam of a diving torch must have:
- a circular shape without haloes
- uniform light distribution over the entire lit surface area
- absence of shadowed areas the faceted multi-mirror computer designed parabolas have established themselves recently. These generate a compact and evenly distributed beam of light and not only that, they compensate for manufacturing imperfections in the bulbs.
This is the container of power of the torches.
It is possible to use alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Two types of battery are most commonly used today:
Nickel Cadmium (NiCd): extremely sturdy and reliable, of different capacities, they accept partial recharging, the memory effect has been completely eliminated. They can also be recharged if they are completely flat. Total recharging must last for 14-16 hours, otherwise the life expectancy of the batteries is lowered
Nickel Metal Hydride Metalidrato (NiMh): with various capacities, they accept both total and partial rapid recharging. They achieve 90% of the charge in quite a short time, the remaining 10% takes a lot longer in proportion. They have an excellent capacity/size ratio, so they have high amperes in small dimensions.